Joanne makes Sticky Rice with Sesame Chicken 麻油雞米糕 in the new video below. This is a steamed dish that uses boiled rice (and barley) plus stir fried ginger slices and juicy chicken. It’s a very tasty, wholesome traditional Taiwanese food.
The ingredients for Sticky Rice with Sesame Chicken 麻油雞米糕 are simple, as below:
- 2.5 cup sticky rice
- 0.5 cup barley
- 3 cup water.
- sliced chicken
- sliced ginger
- rice wine
- sesame oil
As with the ingredients, the method isn’t so complicated. It’s made a lot easier if you have a traditional rice cooker like Joanne’s which she brought over to the UK from Taiwan.
- cook the rice/barley mix as normal (that’s the rice barley and water from the recipe above.
- lightly fry the ginger slices in vegetable oil until golden brown
- now add the chicken and sesame oil
- stir fry this for about 5 minutes – don’t worry the chicken meat will be steamed later on
- place the cooked rice and part-cooked chicken in the rice cooker pot, mix it all up
- place the rice cooker pot in the rice cooker with 2 cups of water around the outside
- turn on rice cooker
- about 30 minutes later the cooker will have switched itself off
- now plate the dish by taking pieces of chicken at the bottom of a bowl with (mainly) rice on top of it, pat it until firm
- reverse the bowl onto a plate (now most of the chicken is on top of a ‘mound’)
- garnish with thick soy sauce and cilantro – then serve and enjoy!
We hope you enjoy this delicious, fragrant and tasty chicken rice dish. If you want to see and hear all the latest Taiwan Teapot news please join us on Facebook.