Joanne made this delicious crispy vegetarian dish as a side for her New Year meal last night. This dish comes from Japan and is quite popular in Taiwan as Japan was once the owner of the island. Many foods and customs are shared between the countries.
大年初一，所謂的初一早，初二早，初三睡到飽記得小時候的今天，全村子大大小小一大早會拿著昨晚的壓歲錢到前院大稻埕那去ㄅㄨㄚ˙ ㄍㄧㄠˋ (因為會有三天合法) 通常都是ㄅㄨㄚ˙ 練導阿!，真是鬧熱滾滾充滿年味!! ~~如今這種年味該都不見了吧!!嗯~~所以還是小時後幸福!!
It’s quite easy to make Kakiage 日式炸物 vegetarian tempura, with the following ingredients:
- batter: flour, water, salt, pepper
- your choice of vegetables: such as – carrot, pumpkin, taro, bean sprouts, mushrooms, spring onion, mooli.
- sauce: mirin, rice wine and soy sauce blended together
- optional meats and seafood: if you aren’t vegetarian feel free to add prawns, for example!
- slice up the vegetables as shown into long-ish thin strips
- mix up the vegetables in a bowl and dust them with flour
- make your tempura paste mix with flour and water
- pour the mix over your vegetables and mix it all up
- add any optional meat or seafood at this stage
- heat the oil in the pan
- add in 3 or 4 patties of the mixed veg, carefully
- leave them to brown and turn over, take out of the oil to drain and crisp
- make the dip with mirin, rice wine and soy sauce
We hope you like this dish. Please follow Taiwan Teapot on Facebook for more!